GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

Polyurethane Bushings

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Polyurethane Bushings Empty Polyurethane Bushings

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Energy Suspension has us covered! Just about all the bushings you need are available in either black or red polyurethane. Im planning on doing a conversion here shortly, still have the original rubber bushings. I know this will tighten up the suspension a bit, and is a great upgrade from rubber bushings. Heres the link, its set for a 79 caprice, but obviously the 77-79 are the same. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products.asp?cat=Chevrolet+Caprice+1979
    emartelli
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Polyurethane Bushings Empty Heavy duty lower control arm and PST bushings

Post  emartelli Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:51 am

I've got red energy suspension in all my control arms. Also got the 5/8 police package lowers up front. They help and do not deteriorate the way natural rubber does. When below freezing, they sound like eggs crates rubbing together. Been in there fours years no hitches.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Polyurethane Bushings Empty Re: Polyurethane Bushings

Post  Myloth Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Anybody use both Engine and transmission mounts in Poly both at same time any issues? Stock engine?

Did you clean up your stock control arms ? How did that go? I was wondering whether to buy new(300 set)

or clean the old anyone try those Dorman Arms?

I revamped a 96' PA Ultra with new bushings etc that came out well but the car was

only 12-13 years old. I wonder about the strength of 35 year old Control arms with heavy surface rust.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:21 am

GM B-Body Forum wrote:Energy Suspension has us covered! Just about all the bushings you need are available in either black or red polyurethane. Im planning on doing a conversion here shortly, still have the original rubber bushings. I know this will tighten up the suspension a bit, and is a great upgrade from rubber bushings. Heres the link, its set for a 79 caprice, but obviously the 77-79 are the same. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products.asp?cat=Chevrolet+Caprice+1979
    Poly body bushings make a HUGE difference in body roll.  You'll think you have 6" sway bars front and rear, lol!  You may be surprised to find out that the factory left out a couple too.  Yup, they stuck the bolts in, but left out the bushings!  It supposedly gave a smoother ride.  On my track car I used solid aluminum ones.... talk about rigid!

Myloth wrote:Anybody use both Engine and transmission mounts in Poly both at same time any issues? Stock engine?

Did you clean up your stock control arms ? How did that go? I was wondering whether to buy new(300 set)

or clean the old anyone try those Dorman Arms?

I revamped a 96' PA Ultra with new bushings etc that came out well but the car was

only 12-13 years old. I wonder about the strength of 35 year old Control arms with heavy surface rust.
    Suspension parts take the most abuse of anything on the car, so you're correct in questioning the strength of 35yo ones.   If it's in the budget, always go new.  They're cheap at Rock Auto -
    Polyurethane Bushings 00_upp10
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:10 pm

I was curious about the Dorman or Mevotech or even the Raybestos control arms as opposed to the Delco everyone

of those brands is hit or miss these days even Raybestos. Not that it's all bad I have had some Dorman

parts that were fine and some Mevotech stuff is really good but other items not so much. Hence my seeking personal

experience on the arms and specific brand

Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:28 pm

I have a poser what's the difference between the 77-79 control arms and the 80-90

the bushings are listed as completely different by rock auto and energy suspension?

Are the 77-79 an older leftover from the earlier full size?
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Hmm, that's a good question.  I thought they were all the same up to 1996.  
    For one of the years could you have looked up CAs for the 12" brakes instead of 11"?  They'll have different part numbers.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:57 pm

I should point out that the difference is the Bushings that are listed. Rock Auto lists the same arm for 77-79

and later. However the bushing are different and Energy points to a completely different kit for 77-79 .

Maybe it is different bushing size but the same arm obviously so if you put new arms it doesn't matter?
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:08 pm

idk. I'm curious now too. I hope somebody chimes in with more info. Maybe PM the Rock Auto guy?
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:07 pm

Maybe it's a glitch in Rock Auto, Advance lists same parts. And energy I think is lumping in the 77-79 with early frames by mistake.

Most of the places I looked list the same upper and lower . I wanted to be sure about the energy kit anybody buy those for 77-79 or

for the replacement arms( I read  where someone swapped them into new dorman arms)

There always seems to be a bit of confusion with CA arm bushings I bought a pair of the wrong lower from Rock for my 96 PA and

they listed as correct part. But it was too big way too BIG.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:01 am