GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

Body Mount/ Bushings/ Cushions

Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Body Mount/ Bushings/ Cushions Empty Body Mount/ Bushings/ Cushions

Post  Xtreme Thunder Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:01 am

Hey Guys,

So, I've been doing the typical research on this subject and still currently nobody makes a replacement set of rubber body mounts/ bushings as all the GM ones are out of production.

I've searched all the usual forums, Layitlow, Impalassforum, here etc. and it appears some have mentioned the Energy Suspension Kit 3.4145 Poly Kit for the 1991-1996 Caprice/ Impala would work on the 80's Caprice models. I haven't seen anyone come back and say they don't work. I would be using the Black (Graphite) versions of the poly ES kit. There is also talk about utilizing and ordering the remaining bottom cushions that were not installed from the factory. I got under the car quickly last night and it appears only GM Position #1 is missing the lower mount, as well as GM Position #5, but that is an upper mount only and just sits between the frame and the body. That is my 1987 Caprice Coupe as reference.

Has anyone here actually successfully used the above mentioned kit? The ES kit utilizes the factory sleeves and a combination of ES and Factory washers. There is a bolt and washer hardware kit on Summit for body mounts, but still would require to utilize the stock sleeves.

What are your thoughts?

-Joe
    Kit1078
    Kit1078
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Body Mount/ Bushings/ Cushions Empty Re: Body Mount/ Bushings/ Cushions

Post  Kit1078 Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:06 am

I just used the 3-3145G on my '77 over the weekend. the bushings themselves are physically 'smaller' looking than the stock bushings, but sit at just about the same height. I had to cut down the sleeves on positions 4 and 5 by about 1/8". 3145 does NOT give you bottom bushings for positions 2, 3, or 4, but says that position 5 should have one, which mine didn't. I pulled the one from position 5 and stuck it on position 2 or 3...i can't remember, and reused the old bottom bushings I had for the points that still needed them.

Kit 3-3136G has the bottom bushings for all, or nearly all, points, but is also a harder material meant for police/taxi/racing. Oh, and if you pull the front fenders before you separate the body and frame, be careful of the balance point on the body. mine was actually teetering on the lift and threatening to fall backwards until i dropped the gas tank.
    Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Xtreme Thunder Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:46 am

Thanks for the reply!

Indeed, I looked at the instructions and it appears that the kit doesn't provide lower bushing for a few of the locations. I'll have to source the missing lowers from ES separately (as did the guys with the 94-96 Impala SS) as I'd at least like to replace lowers where they existed from factory. It is possible the ES Poly cushions don't require the lowers, but that is something I'll have to decide.

I'd also like to know the sizes of the sleeves and ideally the bolts, as I'd like to see if I could possibly source a reasonable replacement as I am not sure the condition of the stock ones.
    Kit1078
    Kit1078
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Kit1078 Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:59 am

I believe the bolts are an M14X2.00 metric, but you will want to double check me on that. The sleeves are more than just a hollow tube sleeve, they are kind of mushroom shaped and cradle the bushing. There is a really good writeup on it on Impala SS forum,

Link:
    http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/329114-replacing-body-mounts-my-ss-2.html

He has a real nicely written up step by step here.
    Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Xtreme Thunder Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:27 am

Excellent, thanks much for the tip about the sleeve trimming and the link!

Hmmm, I'd ideally like to get a full decent set of sleeves, so I can prep and supply. My wife's Grandparents and Uncles own a well respected body shop in town and have already showed interest in performing the job (I would love to do it, but I don't have a lift or safe way to raise the body), but I don't want to tie up their lift for longer than needed.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:13 am