GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

5 posters

steering column swap

shortbusdriver
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

steering column swap Empty steering column swap

Post  shortbusdriver Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:58 pm

any body done a floor shift conversion in a 77 ? if so what steering column did you use? i'm thinking a monty carlo of the same vintage will work. i'm in the final stages of parts collecting for my 77 caprice project, bought the car in 91 from a little used car lot and set it up for cross country travell. parked it in 97 and last year decided it was time! so far I have a 9c1 chassis from a 95 cop car, a 454/4l80 from a 95 chevy 2500 2wd and seats and floor console from a 79 grand prix that was installed on the first build. will post some pic's of the build as it gets going,any info will be apriciated!!
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

steering column swap Empty Re: steering column swap

Post  solo79 Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi! Welcome to the Forum! I too will be embarking on a floor shift conversion for my 79 2-door. While I haven't done it yet, I've been studying steering columns. A friend of mine has a 77 Trans Am and his column is very similar to mine except without the column shift and I think I can make a 2nd gen Trans Am column work, but not real sure yet. I've also thought about removing the handle on my column, grinding down the mount and fill it smooth since there's absolutely nothing wrong with my tilt column and it's still nice and tight. I'm thinking about using a a square body 82-84 Trans Am console and the floor shifter as well. The boxy lines should go well with the car and after roughly test fitting the one from my Trans Am, it will just about mate up with the bottom of the Caprice dash in a nice transition, but will still require a little bit of work.

Sounds like you've got some cool mods going already and I'd love to see pics of the Grand Prix seats and console in there. I bet that looks sharp!
    shortbusdriver
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  shortbusdriver Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:20 pm

thanks for the welcome! I am trying to bring to life a vision in my head that started about 30 years ago, I guess that I am going for a grand touring resto mod using as many factory parts as I can.
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:28 pm

That's a vision we'll all be anxiously awaiting come together. I can't wait to see the progress, thank you as well for sharing!
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:48 pm

I just installed a Hurst Quarter Stick in my 79 Imp it was easy(except for a slight miscalculation in placement shh Sweet).

All I did was remove the old column linkage from underneath , at the firewall, the handle on the column and installed the

new shifter. and linkage I have to wire up the reverse lights and lockout still. But it shifts great some just leave the old

column linkage and add the new then you don't have to wire just remove the shifting handle at the column and viola.

steering column swap Th_P8300008

If you want a oem factory look on the column you'd have to wire and source a column that had a floor shifter but I have

no idea if any did or which years might have ?
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:18 am

Columns from any full sized GM car of the era such as the Olds Delta or Holiday 88 are direct bolt-ins.

steering column swap 1978_o10

steering column swap 00n0n_10

steering column swap 72188310

steering column swap 12219910

BTW, the seats used are the same as used in the G-body Cutlass (and many other models) only the brackets/mounts are different. If you have a split bench seat, the brackets are a direct bolt-on to the Cutty seat bases.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:51 am