GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

5 posters

95 Impala Heavy Duty Brakes

oldsbuickhybrid
    oldsbuickhybrid
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

95 Impala Heavy Duty Brakes Empty 95 Impala Heavy Duty Brakes

Post  oldsbuickhybrid Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:05 am

Hello. It has been a while, but I have a question. After reading (https://www.gmbbodyforum.com/t556-d52-brake-pad-upgrade?highlight=brake), it seems like 95 Impala SS pads could fit my delta. This got me to investigate a bit more.

At work, I was seeing the brake calipers, and noticed that the 95 SS has a "Heavy Duty" brake option for calipers. The regular duty part number, is the same one as my delta, but the heavy duty option has a different part number. In the pictures they looked the same though. Would switching my "light duty" calipers for "heavy duty" ones yield any benefits? If so, how difficult would the swap be? Would it be a direct swap or are mods required? Would they fit under my 15 inch wheels?

Thanks in advace
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

95 Impala Heavy Duty Brakes Empty Re: 95 Impala Heavy Duty Brakes

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:27 pm

I didnt get a chance to check them two side by side, but the only thing i can think of is that the piston size must be different, other than that i have no idea what the difference between the standard and "heavy duty" they have listed, one thing might be the rear discs, being the standard versions all had drums, idk if the fluid capicity inside the heavy duty version is different , even though GM used the same proportioning valve, idk for sure, one thing i do know is your car ahould have the heavy duty version, im thinking the 9C1s and the impala ss got them.
    oldsbuickhybrid
    oldsbuickhybrid
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  oldsbuickhybrid Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 am

Where I work, they only have the "Light Duty" version.  The heavy duty is special order.  The impala ss light duty version caliper part number matches the one from my delta.  When I look up the part number for the heavy duty option though, the picture looks very similar to the light duty, so I am hoping they are interchangeable.  I will try it out once I have my car again.  Going to try the brake pads as well.  Thank you
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:11 pm

I know exactly what your talking about, i work part time at oriellys, same thing special order. It might also have todo with the 12 inch rotor also, im not sure though only because the 12 inch rotor comes with a different spindle, so, this isnt something weve talked about on here before, ill see if i can dig up more info.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Putting aside the SS Impala those 12" brakes are aluminum calipers for 9c1 the caliper and the spindle are totally different

from the stock fair 11"s they used forever. (Same caliper for 79 and 95 in 11"). Wish I could find a pair of stock 9c1 spindles

but not easy everything is 2" lowered (Which I don't want myself).
    oldsbuickhybrid
    oldsbuickhybrid
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  oldsbuickhybrid Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:15 am

I was not aware that it used a different spindle. If that is the case, I am pretty sure it will not work then.

Another quick question. I was reading up on the stealth proportioning valve mod. Seems great, but would it work on my rear drum equipped car? The drums that are on my rear end swap are much bigger than the OEM ones my car used to have, if that makes any difference. My only concern would be the drums overheating to a point where braking would be affected in a negative way.
    Bigbloccaquarium
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Bigbloccaquarium Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:33 am

Buy a set of 95/96 impala ss spindles, pads, calipers, rotors, hoses, seals and bearings. I havent installed mines as yet.. But i have a full wilwood set going on if i don't sell it first.
    WaterBoyz
    WaterBoyz
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  WaterBoyz Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:13 pm

Any activity on your brake upgrade?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:53 am