GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

Help!!! Rear lights

MrOh10ygt
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Help!!! Rear lights  Empty Help!!! Rear lights

Post  MrOh10ygt Sat May 20, 2017 11:58 am

I have a 1984 Caprice all my front lights works also rear high mount brake light and rear light while headlights are on.  I have no rear lights brakes or turn signals. Ive replaced turn signals switch.Any solutions?/?/
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Help!!! Rear lights  Empty Re: Help!!! Rear lights

Post  Myloth Fri May 26, 2017 10:05 am

Hi sorry took so long .

The biggest problem I have had with my lights is what you are experiencing brake \turn signal

I resolved mine, one was the turn signal switch in the column and the other was the OEM light sockets

were shorting out and\or losing contact. Basically worn out parts but also check your grounds in the trunk as well.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Fri May 26, 2017 6:49 pm

MrOh10ygt wrote:I have a 1984 Caprice all my front lights works also rear high mount brake light and rear light while headlights are on.  I have no rear lights brakes or turn signals. Ive replaced turn signals switch.Any solutions?/?/

Yep, I think Myloth hit the nail on the head. The sockets get corrosion in them and cause issues. Time to replace them.
    You should always use dielectric grease on the bulbs when installing new ones to keep out moisture.
    I have complete working rear harnesses if you need one.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat May 27, 2017 12:07 am

Not trying to be a butt lol, but you said you have an 84 with a high mount stop light, but those weren't available until 1986. Its definitely an isolated issue which is good, just in the brake lights and turn sigs which run off the same circuit. If you dont have any corrosion and the ground is good, id check where the wiring harness comes out from the trunk to makes sure the wires aren't brittle have cracked or split. Sounds like the issue is in the rear so it narrows it down. Let us know what you find!
    MrOh10ygt
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  MrOh10ygt Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:50 pm

ok sorry its been awhile ive been working a lot. I replaced bulbs replaced trun signal switch also found and cleaned ground wire in the trunk still no luck. its a 1984 landau the high mount works and when I turn my headlights on lights in rear comes on but that's it. I'm so lost!!!! how much for the harness
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Well since you're saying the high mount stoplight works, then that means the fuse is good, and the brake light switch is good, the turn signal switch and the wiring in between may be the issue. But being that it didnt work before you replaced the turn sig switch would probably make me lean more towards wiring, but of course a turn sig switch could be bad brand new too. The brake light switch sends power through the turn signal switch and separates it to the left and right sides in the rear. The high mount stop light gets power directly from the switch so its not on the same circuit as the rear turn sigs. So being the brake light switch works, its either not connected well and making contact with the turn signal switch wiring harness, or it is making contact and is going through the switch but just not sending power all the way back to both the left and right sides, meaning a wiring issue. I don't think its the light sockets, they don't usually all go out at once. And if the tail lights work then they are getting a good ground. So what I'd do is, check the wiring harness where you plugged the turn sig switch into the main harness, sounds like the issue is isolated there. I highly doubt the wiring under the carpet all the way back got damaged but you may have to pull up the carpet and follow all the wires back if the turn sig switch wiring is ok. Its all pointing towards the turn sig switch as I'm looking at the wiring diagram.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:20 am