GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

Oil Pressure Switch, Timing Marks, Heater Valve (Sorry-Visually impaired)

z1
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Oil Pressure Switch, Timing Marks, Heater Valve (Sorry-Visually impaired) Empty Oil Pressure Switch, Timing Marks, Heater Valve (Sorry-Visually impaired)

Post  z1 Mon May 26, 2014 8:05 pm

'79 Impala 305 4 door

I'm visually impaired so sorry if some of these questions seem basic.

1) I'm installing mechanical gauges and have been searching for the oil pressure switch. I read it's under the distributor, I can feel the wires (I think) but the space is so tight I don't see (no pun intended)  how to get it out.

2) I think I found the timing mark on the balancer but I don't see any kind of pointer on the motor.

3) Does anyone have a diagram of the heater/ac connections. My heater control valve has a pinched nylon hose going no where.

Thanks, Bernie

Last edited by z1 on Tue May 27, 2014 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Oil Pressure Switch, Timing Marks, Heater Valve (Sorry-Visually impaired) Empty Re: Oil Pressure Switch, Timing Marks, Heater Valve (Sorry-Visually impaired)

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue May 27, 2014 12:08 am

Hi Bernie, welcome to the forum.

Oil pressure sending units are tough to remove.
    Reach in from the drivers side in the area under the distributor, at the very back of the engine block.  The sending unit is there.

Here is what it looks like -

Oil Pressure Switch, Timing Marks, Heater Valve (Sorry-Visually impaired) Oil_pr10

-------------------------
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Oil Pressure Switch, Timing Marks, Heater Valve (Sorry-Visually impaired) Empty Re: Oil Pressure Switch, Timing Marks, Heater Valve (Sorry-Visually impaired)

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed May 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Hey Bernie welcome aboard! Im assuming the nylon hose your talking about is the little vacuum hose that turns the heater control valve off and on. Now that i wouldnt worry about, its defualt position is open so youll always get heat. Thats only there to turn it "off" to stop the coolant flow when you move the selector inside to "cool". Ive had alot of issues with replacement heater control valves leaking, so i have altogether got rid of it. When you move the selector to cool it closes a door inside the heater box so youll get cool air regardless if the heater core has hot or cool fluid in it.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Thu May 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Welcome to the forum!! Ok, looks like #1 and #3 have been answered, I'll take #2.

Look behind your water pump and on the timing chain cover there should be a timing tab attached to it. If it's the factory engine/timing cover, it should still be there as they are welded on and rarely fall off. Some aftermarket covers have bolt on timing tabs, so yours may be missing if it's aftermarket (usually chrome).

Here's a picture for you of a stock cover. Red arrow points to timing tab:

Oil Pressure Switch, Timing Marks, Heater Valve (Sorry-Visually impaired) Timingcover640x480_zpsf31b4b97

z1
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Oil Pressure Switch, Timing Marks, Heater Valve (Sorry-Visually impaired) Empty Thank you,

Post  z1 Sat May 31, 2014 10:37 am

You guys are great, thanks so much for your help. I'll poke around tonight, much easier for me to see with just a drop light.

Bernie

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:59 pm